English lesson
I just discovered last night that the British do not make use of the highly useful word raincheck. I discovered this while sending a text to my friend Seth, and the auto-spelling feature thingy could not figure out what I was trying to say.
Since it is a baseball term, it makes sense that they don't use it. But I wonder what they use in its place???
Here is the OED definition, in case my non-US readers didn't know what it means: chiefly U.S., (a) a ticket given to a spectator at an outdoor event providing for a refund of his entrance money or admission at a later date, should the event be interrupted by rain; transf., a ticket allowing one to order an article before it is available, and to collect it when it becomes so; (b) fig. (see quot. 1930); also, esp. in phr. to take a rain check on, to reserve the right not to take up a specified offer until such time as it should prove convenient.
3 comments:
South Africans know it (although I reckon we'd spell it 'rain cheque'). Perhaps we got it from watching too many American sitcoms on TV!
Tania.co.za
It would be interesting to know what the Brits take... not even a "rain cheque"? Would a "rain pound" with Queen Elizabeth on it do the trick?
It's so funny the terms that we have that they don't have.
Likewise... the words that they use...
Like Carpark...
Post a Comment