Friday, October 12, 2007

Kaitlin rants about the media again, sort of

I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but one of my favorite shows is Ugly Betty. I usually end up watching it on the Internet here, or downloading it from iTunes, since I don't have a TV and it's usually a bit behind here.

I've just finished the first three episodes of the new season, and one of the new plots annoys the hell out of me: how Amanda finds out that Fey Summers was her mother and that she was adopted. It annoys me because (a) it a subject that hits close to home for me, and (b) they got it all stereotypically wrong in the usual way.

Let me set some things straight that the media always get wrong about adoption. *Steps on soapbox*

These people always find out that they're adopted and don't know who one of the biological parents are, so they immediately decide that they're orphans and they're lost and they need to find out who they are. The parents who adopt you are your parents. The person who gave birth to you may have given you genes, but the adoptive parents give you everything else. You're most likely to be "who you are" because of your adoptive parents, not your biological ones.

Also, when these people find out that they're adopted later on in life, they act like it's a horrible tragedy and they're suddenly deformed or something like that. There are several things wrong with this. First, children who are adopted should be told as early on as possible. I've known for as long as I can remember. There is nothing wrong or shameful about adoption, and there is no reason for it to be a secret. Children should be told about it just like any other child might hear about the day s/he was born. It's a beautiful and wonderful thing - it's not like announcing to your child that s/he has a disease or something.

Finally (this didn't happen on Ugly Betty, but I still hate it when the media do it), I hate it when the word "adopted" is thrown around like it makes the child different in some way. You wouldn't go around announcing, "this is my daughter Amanda, she was born by Caesarean section," would you? Probably not. I was reading Air Canada's website the other day (my parents are flying it to visit me in a few weeks!), and somehow I stumbled across a page outlining bereavement fares. It says that the fare would be available for the deceased's child, including adopted children. That would be like saying the fare would be available for your child, including daughters. Adopted children are completely and totally and legally the children of their adoptive parents. They have no different rights from biological children.

Also, note that I say "biological parents," not "real parents." For an adoptive child, the parents who adopt you are your "real parents."

*Gets off soapbox*

Thanks for listening. I just hate it when the media talk about adoption, because they always get it so wrong.

In other news, all is well here. MCR life is kinda boring, junior deaning and work keep me on my toes.

Happy weekend, folks! xxx

1 comment:

Terminal Degree said...

Uh, I hate hearing stuff like that. My pet peeve? When the media mentions that a crime was committed by an adopted person, as if that somehow explains the crime. P