Sunday, March 16, 2008

RBOC: "I should be packing" edition

  • ETA: Massive apologies for the shameful blog neglect. I promise it won't happen again.
  • So the term has ended and I go home on Thursday. I met with my supervisor on Monday, I'll return all my library books tomorrow, and I'll have a few "goodbye" gatherings with friends for the rest of the week.
  • This is the first time I've gone home over the Easter vac since I've been here.
  • I don't know what it is about this year - I don't go out partying and stuff like I used to do. This year has been about staying in and hanging out with the other JDs and watching movies and stuff. It's not as though I'm dying to go out partying - when I'm out, I actually look forward to getting back and watching Catherine Tate or the Sopranos or playing Guitar Hero III on the Wii.
  • Speaking of movies, I've seen quite a few lately, all very good for the most part:
    • The Constant Gardener, which the JDs watched when we were on duty for the final Entz of the term. It felt like a long movie, but I didn't get bored by it like I thought I would. I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it already.
    • Yossi & Jagger, an Israeli movie recommended to us by some friends, which Enrique and Maria and I watched in the MCR last Sunday. It was kinda boring because nothing really happened. These two soldiers were in love, but we never see much of them being in love.
    • Top Secret!, which Justin, Enrique, Maria and I watched in the MCR on Sunday after we had already watched Yossi & Jagger. It's a spoof of WWII movies, and I thought it was hilarious. I totally recommend it.
    • The Accidental Husband, which I saw with Elizabeth, Reb and Kylie on Wednesday. It was a cheesy chick flick and had some obvious features of the cheesy chick flick genre, but it didn't end like I expected, which was great. Not only does it feature the delightful Colin Firth, it also starred Jeffrey Dean Morgan - one of my favorite characters from the otherwise boring P.S. I Love You. Here is a pic for your enjoyment:

  • Tonight I am going to see Juno with my friend Jenni. I've been wanting to see it for a long time, and everyone I know who has seen it speaks very highly of it.
  • Other than seeing movies, I've also been packing. My college makes the students pack up their entire rooms over the break (yes, that means everything, pictures on the walls and all that) so they can have rooms for the conference guests. If you pay to stay over the break and you happen to have a nice ensuite room, they still make you pack up and move to one of the smaller rooms so they can have all the nice ensuite rooms for their guests. I was scheduled to move into a non-ensuite room, but since I'm coming back on the third day of term, it wasn't very ideal because the original owners of the non-ensuites will be coming back on the first day. So, I'm putting my stuff into private storage, which the college loves because it opens up a room for conference guests.
  • I did ask friends if I could leave stuff with them, but I realized that would end up being too complicated. Most of my friends have room for a few boxes here or there, which means I would have to make arrangements with all these people to store stuff and then make arrangements with all these people to pick stuff up when I return. I figured that private storage would be convenient because it would be one trip in each direction.
  • Added bonus: Ali, one of the JDs, has a car and is able to transport me to the storage place.
  • The price of the storage isn't all that bad: $150 for 5 weeks. When you think of how much I've saved on the flight this time around, I still come out ahead in my opinion.
  • But dear God, I really hate packing.
  • And dear God, I've acquired a lot of crap over the past three years. (But this is normal, isn't it? You live and work somewhere, you get a lot of stuff.)
  • On the other hand, I'm almost done packing, which means my last few days should be relaxing.
  • I'm very much looking forward to San Francisco. I'm staying with Chrissie, and hopefully I will see Adam and Christian while I am there.
  • That's all for now. Almost time for lunch, which means I should think about getting dressed soon.
xxxxx

No comments: