Monday, August 4, 2008

The Spain Chronicles – Day 8

Well, well, well. As you can see, I had no time to keep this blog updated during the Northern half of my trip. I prefer it that way, though – we had a fantastic time, and I didn’t want to waste my time writing in my blog when I could have been enjoying time with my friends. So I will make up for it here. I don’t know how detailed I can make this portion of the trip, mostly because I am not as familiar with Galicia and I’m not entirely confident with the names of places (especially since many things were in Galician and Portuguese!).

On Tuesday I did very little in Vigo. I slept late, had breakfast (toast and tea) and pretty much chilled while I waited for (a) my laundry to dry and (b) the boys to arrive. I actually needed to wait, because I didn’t have any clean clothes left! The days were so hot in Madrid that I was sweating all the time, so it wouldn’t have been good form to put anything on again without washing first.

Funny story about the washing: Enrique’s mom does not have a dryer (most people there don’t – I think it has to do with conserving energy), so we had to hang everything on a clothes line. When I was taking my stuff off the line, I *so* knew I was going to drop something…and I did. One of my shirts fell down and landed on the line of the floor below (we were on the 5th floor). I tried to go down to the neighbors below and knock on the door, but no one was home. Flora (Enrique’s mom) was out, so I just decided to get dressed and go out and deal with it later. It turns out that they’re prepared for such things, and his mom was able to use a string with a hook attached to recover my shirt when she returned. :)

So, the going out part. Flora was going to the Corte Inglés, and drew me a map so I could go and meet up with her. Alas, I suck spectacularly at maps, so I misread it and went the wrong way. After not finding the Corte Inglés three streets later, I continued walking for a bit then decided to head back. I didn’t really need anything from the Corte Inglés and I wanted to chill for a bit before everyone got there.

Flora returned at 5:30ish, Maruxa (Enrique’s sister) came at 6ish and we all went to the airport to pick up the boys at 6:30ish. Justin and Enrique came in at 7 and we all went back to the house. Maruxa’s boyfriend Carlos joined us for dinner, which was a lot of fun. After dinner we spent a lot of time chatting and catching up, and I think we went to bed around 2 am.

Wow, I managed to say a lot about a day in which not very much happened! Next up: Santiago de Compostela.

No comments: