Saturday, August 28, 2010

Weekend (or, well, Life) Update

So a lot has changed since I last posted.  For those of you who have been following along since the beginning, I wanted to keep you updated on what I'm doing now.

  • I'm taking a one-term extension (I may add a second) and am finishing in January.  That means I'll submit the thesis in January and have a viva (oral exam) in late March-early April, and if all goes well, I'll be done.  If I take a second extension, add 2-3 months to the above dates.
  • I'm finishing the thesis from home.  I don't have any more scholarships, can't afford to take out any more loans, and am too distracted being a Junior Dean to keep making the trip across the pond.  Also, I've been in England for five years.  I'm ready to be home.
  • I'm also applying for jobs.  I've had a couple of interviews and have been flat-out rejected, but a few are looking promising at the moment.  I'm not applying for professor/VAP positions, by the way - I'm trying for jobs that combine all of my experience, and I think I've found a few where I'd be a good fit.
  • My parents got me a PT Cruiser as a welcome home present!  My old car was falling apart and was not far away from being eligible for antique plates, so my parents wanted me to have a vehicle that would get me safely to the library, job interviews, etc. 
  • I miss the Oxford crowd terribly, but it's amazing to be home.  Plus, everyone is finishing up and moving on, so I'm more likely to run into people in Washington, DC than in Oxford now.
This blog isn't done yet - you'll keep hearing from me until I'm Dr. Kaitlin. :) So stay tuned!

xxx

1 comment:

comebacknikki said...

Yay! I'm glad you're blogging again! :)