Sunday, May 28, 2006

"But if memories were all I sang, I'd rather drive a truck" *

When I posted about my visit to the Bodleian a while back, Greg left the following comment:

You know, whenever I think I'm over my horrible envy about your academic situation, you post something like this. Grrr...

Hang in there, I'm about to do it again.

Last night, Mark and I were invited by Eleanor to the Christ Church GCR Garden Party. Garden Parties are very classy events, where men wear suits and women wear lovely dresses and everyone hangs out in the garden and does classy things like croquet and punting. Unfortunately, the weather was questionable, so we couldn't punt, but the party was still (or perhaps even more) amazing: it was moved to the cathedral cloisters quad, the first time in the history of the college that a party was held there.

So there we were, looking classy, having a great party in these centuries-old cloisters, which are, of course, featured in many scenes of Harry Potter movies. There were maybe three tables of food (I didn't get to try it all - the crowds ate it up fast - but it was good), and two tables of desserts, including two chocolate fountains, and a whole bunch of cakes. Their GCR (what we call an MCR) has its own CAKE REP - that is, someone whose sole responsibility is to make cakes for graduate events! Amazing!

Entertainment was provided by a classical music quartet and then by the Oxford Gargoyles, a jazz a cappella group. They were very cool, and made the ambience very classy. I've seen them before in concert, so it was cool to see them again.

And of course, as we do at virtually every other event in existence, we took photos of ourselves looking gorgeous:

Mark and his datesMe againEleanor and KaitlinMark and Kaitlin at Christ Church
More photos on the Flickr!

At the end it was getting a bit coldish, so we headed out of ChCh and over to the graduate apartments for tea and cake and stuff. It was lovely and classy and very Oxonian.

In a few weeks we will be having our own garden party, so I hope to steal some of the best ideas I've seen/heard from other garden parties and use them at ours!

Well that was fun, but I have to work today and get stuff done...
Much love,
Me


*Bonus points to anyone who knows why this song lyric is relevant!

5 comments:

Heather said...

Looking very nice in your dress!! I've never heard of a garden party before I watched project runway UK version. They sound very interesting and high class.

comebacknikki said...

That would be Rick Nelson's song, "Garden Party"...and it's relevant b/c you were at a GARDEN PARTY! Whoo-hoo! (My parents used to listent to RN all the time; otherwise, I would have had no clue.)

Gorgeous dress!! :)

Pink Cupcake said...

Oooh, I love your dress! Where did you get it from?

Glad you are enjoying the garden party season...

Lori-Lyn said...

I LOVE your snazzy green dress!

Deb said...

The green dress is GORGEOUS!