Friday, June 30, 2006

Back on the other side: bullets of random crap

  • So I'm back in the USA. And it's weird as hell.
  • The flight home was long. The entertainment system didn't work for half the trip, so I tried to sleep/read/not think about the fact that I've been breathing processed air for hours upon end.
  • When I arrived, it was HOT here. I swear I lost weight by sweating (carrying heavy luggage didn't help!) yesterday.
  • My laptop was stolen. It was while we were loading all my stuff into the car. My parents took over while I went to the bathroom, and neither one remembers seeing a laptop. The New Jersey police have not been extremely productive in helping me out. *%&#$*%&#*%&!#*$&#!!! They want me to MAIL IN a frickin' form to report the lost laptop. And when I ask if anything has been reported, they're like, "Umm, nope." No desire to help me. Almost a whole year's worth of work was on there, including my teaching materials from the Winter. Thank God I have hard copies, or they're on Blackboard or in my email in some spots, but I don't have everything. Oh, and all of the photos I took are gone too. (Thank God for FlickrPro in that case, although there are a few that I didn't get to upload). This kind of dampened the homecoming spirit, to put it lightly.
  • Side note: I had been wanting a new laptop for a long time, as my current (former?) laptop is heavy as hell and the battery only lasts two hours. So maybe this is an omen. I'd kinda like a Tablet PC. For a fleeing moment I considered a Mac, but I don't think I could make the transition.
  • Sign at Heathrow in the toilets: WARNING: WATER IS VERY HOT. RISK OF SCOLDING. Hee!
  • When I sat down at the computer kiosks in Heathrow, I tried to visit Phantom Scribbler's blog to see who won the Wednesday Whining Prizes for the week. Their Internet server blocked her blog from me, saying it could not be shown because of its High Porn Content. I'm not making this up!
  • Damn, do I miss Oxford, and England in general. I miss the people above all else.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

welcome back!!!

too bad you are going to miss england vs portugal, and the semifinals in case the english team advances. oh well... enjoy the MLB!!! ;-)

Terminal Degree said...

Welcome home! And so, so sorry about the laptop. :(

Phantom Scribbler said...

It's the nipples, I bet. Heathrow fears the nipples!

Mark said...

so sorry to hear about the laptop. But like you say, good opportunity to get a new one!