Friday, August 4, 2006

Another Secret Message

To the lady who was leaving the 1877 Club this afternoon:

Fanny packs are never the right answer.

Love and storage,
Kaitlin


>>Update, 11:08 p.m., 8/5/06: Oops, I didn't realize that "fanny" is a bit more obscene in UK English than in US English. The UK translation for "fanny packs" is "bum bags," which sounds a bit dodgy to me ;)

Speaking of British English: I have a question for all you British people out there. How do you pronounce the word row, as in "I had a row with someone"? Is it pronounced the same as the row in "I row for the Catz Boat Club," or does it rhyme with words like how/now/cow? I've only seen it in writing - I've never heard it spoken before.

4 comments:

comebacknikki said...

Oh god, not a fanny pack. HIDEOUS!

Red said...

Particularly when you consider the English(UK) translation!

Oh God, I just typed "fanny" into a British-English dictionary to try and construct an educated sounding comment and the following was displayed

Sponsored Results for 'Fanny'
Fanny
Huge selection of Fanny items
eBay.co.uk


I dread to think.

Greg said...

It rhymes with cow. It sounds weird when spoken.

Her Holiness said...

Hehe, I find it highly amusing that to you 'bum bag' sounds dodgier than 'fanny pack'. That's the best example ever of the difference between US and UK english.
And yup, row/how/now/cow when it's an argument, not at all like 'row row row your boat gently down the stream'.