Sunday, October 1, 2006

My dog has telepathic powers

When I was a senior in high school (I think), I went with my mom, my sister and some friends of ours to a taping of the now-defunct Gayle King Show.  The theme of the day was "Amazing Pets," and it featured a whole bunch of weird people who claimed that their pets did things like save 37 dogs and two horses from drowning with no witnesses around.

I thought the whole thing was a crock, but in the past year or so I realized that my dog, Roxy, would have been perfect for the show.  Why?  Because she has telepathic powers.

OK, now I know y'all are giving me that same look that you give me when I tell you my mother had a mutant cat when she was growing up.  But this is true.  Hear me out.

Whenever anyone is sick in my family, and is laying down, the dog will come over without being called and lay down on the part of the person that is sick.  I'm serious!  Last year, I mysteriously twisted my ankle and had to cancel my classes that day.  I was stuck on the couch all day, and couldn't move.  The dog came and laid across my feet all day.  She also did the same when my mother had a backache one night, and again last night when I was up all night with a stomachache.

How does she know to do that?  Can she sense it?  I don't think she's intelligent enough to make the connection that I had been throwing up and therefore my stomach must have hurt, and I don't think she was around when I twisted my ankle.

Has anyone else ever had anything happen like this?

Random change of subject:  I am without Oxford email for the next few days, so please be sure to contact me on my gmail if you are looking for me.

Oh, and in case you haven't noticed, I've been delayed for a few days in arriving to Oxford.  My visa was delayed, so there was no legal way to get into the country!  It's all squared away now, and I will be back on Thursday.

technorati tags:, ,

Blogged with Flock

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

never underestimate animals, my friend! i believe that most dogs and cats do sense when someone is not feeling well. not only do they understand if you are sick, but they can also tell when you are feeling down emotionally. my friend back home went through a pretty rough time with her husband and she used to sleep at my place. well, my cat layla could tell something was wrong with her. at night, she would jump onto her bed and curl up against her, which she would have never done under normal circumstances. and she's always by my side when i'm sick or just depressed. so, yeah, roxy may really have telepathic powers. how she can sense what part of your body is in pain, i don't know. but i'm not surprised at all that she knows!

Anonymous said...

reminds me of those dogs that people claim can "smell" cancer and can walk around a person and use their nose to point to the body part with the tumor/cancer cells...and I do believe that pets can sense when we are not ok...when I am feeling bad or crying my dog used to (before he died) scratch at the door and come into the room and look at me with these sad eyes and then curl up next to me...
Maybe your pet can feel the warmth of the injured area...you know how people say that the body has different temperatures..maybe they can feel the warmth...that reminds me of the incubus song :)

Anonymous said...

And she plays fetch with herself!!! She is the best and cutest dog in the world!!!

Anonymous said...

More importantly, does your blog have updating powers?