Sunday, November 12, 2006

Armistice Day

This is too important to lump into a post about the Food Show, so I will mention it separately here.

I don't know how I missed it last year (they didn't do it in our college), but I discovered that on the Sunday after 11 November (Armistice Day), the British observe two minutes of silence at 11:00 am to commemorate the veterans of WWII. Right at 11:00, in the middle of the Food Show, some trumpets began to play, and everyone fell silent. Then they observed the two minutes of silence, followed by trumpets again. It was a beautiful and moving scene - hundreds of people, silent and still. In today's world, two minutes of silence seems like ages. But it was beautiful. It actually made me tear up a bit.

Both of my grandfathers fought in WWII - one in Europe, one in the Pacific. They are both still alive today. I spent those two minutes thinking about them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I woke up around 11:04 today, so I suppose I observed the two minutes of silence, unless you count snoring.

Red said...

Damn, I forgot to get a poppy this year. In case you weren't aware, those red poppies people have been wearing are to mark remembrances day. The proceeds go to charities for war pensioner etc.