Monday, December 3, 2007

Just checking

This is for the Americans out there: when doing the times tables, you would say "eight times nine," right? You wouldn't say "eight nines," would you?

I ask this because I noticed last night that one of my favorite authors does not write Americans very well. She has them saying things like "eight nines," "we had a really huge row" and "it's my favorite tipple." Maybe it's me, but I can't imagine an American saying any of these things.

Just thought I'd check. A post of actual substance coming soon!

xxx

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would definitely say "eight times nine," but I remember hearing someone--one of my elementary school teachers, maybe?--saying "eight nines." It does sound weird to me, though.

As far as "it's my favorite tipple"--even the conspicuously absent "u" in favorite can't make that sound American. :)

LM said...

What the heck is a "tipple"?

I'm not American but have been living in Gringoland for a while now, and have almost forgotten my Eurotrashland English...

You definitely don't have a "row" in America. And you do say "eight times nine"... took a Math class in a Gringo college with a Gringo professor, so I know what I'm saying! ;-)