Lucky number seven
Since I have seven days to go before I head back stateside (welllll sorta...it's still Wednesday in the US), I thought I'd play along with the "Seven things about me" meme that is back in circulation (seen pretty much everywhere lately, too tired to find the links). I don't care about tagging people; if you want to play along, be my guest.
Here are seven random things about me:
1.) My picture was in a Chilean gossip magazine in 2002. Loryta may remember why, but otherwise I'll leave it at that to keep y'all wondering. ;)
2.) Sometimes I take more than one shower in a day. It's not an OCD cleanliness thing - if I can't sleep or I don't feel well, taking a shower helps. When I was an undergrad and then when I did my first Master's, at the point when all my finals were papers, I took a shower after I finished each paper - I felt like it cleared my head of the old material and made room for whatever was due next.
3.) One of my favorite drinks is whiskey (preferably Jameson) and cranberry juice. Bartenders and friends almost always look at me funny when I order it. I had it this way for the first time at the Jameson Distillery in Dublin and I've liked it ever since.
4.) I own six different editions of the Quijote. None of them are particularly rare or interesting, but they're all useful for different reasons. Two are English translations, one is an abridged version that came free with a newspaper in Spain, one is an electronic copy that I use for searching for passages, one is the Murillo edition that I've been using since my undergraduate days, and one is the Rico edition that I've started using since I've been here.
5.) I keep very odd sleeping hours here in Oxford, but I sleep fairly normally while at home.
6.) I love traveling, but I hate the traveling part of it. That is, the riding in planes-trains-buses part of it. Also, I hate dealing with luggage. I could probably manage this by learning to pack better, but I'm neurotic and always pack too much.
7.) In various situations, especially Junior Dean-related ones this year, a lot of people tell me I am (or was) "obviously very nervous." In most cases, I'm actually not as nervous as they think. I attribute this to two things. First, I am a neurotic firstborn, and I worry about everyone. So if someone is throwing up or has fallen and hit their head, I worry. That's just how I am. Second, I get very fidgety if I have nothing to do. So, if I am asked to wait until someone (security, an ambulance, etc.) arrives, I just get fidgety, which people assume to mean that I am nervous. I promise I'm not: trust me, I've dealt with far worse.
That's all, folks...feel free to play along if you like.
G'night!
xxx
1 comment:
I love the Francisco Rico edition of the Quijote! That's one of two copies I own. The other one is just the text, no footnotes or critical introduction or anything.
Post a Comment