Monday, September 22, 2008

WANT

I really want one of those teeny laptops. I think it's something I would use a lot, so it would be worth the expense.

I wouldn't use it for heavy duty work, but it looks convenient to take to a library to take some notes. I'd also use it at the airport, and to watch movies on a plane.

I've seen them around here for $300-$320. I could probably get one in the States for $250, based on a quick look at Google, but I don't know if that's used or if it'll take weeks to deliver.

Does anyone have one of these little guys? Is it worth it? I'd be interested in your feedback.

Cheers!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks very cute, but I wouldn't get one unless it was a Mac ;-) No more Windows for me. For that price, I'd get an iPhone. It's like a computer in your pocket, and it's Apple! ;-)

Anonymous said...

alien cat: I am thinking of getting a Mac in December. Is it worth it? I am trying to decide if it's worth buying the extra programs I would have to (for grad school)...what do you think?

The weirdest (endo) sister of them all said...

I have this:

http://www.johnlewis.com/230503792/Product.aspx

It is £300 and as you can see it has 120GB hard drive. It is incredibly useful for taking to libraries.

I would also strongly recommend you buy from John Lewis because they give a free 2 year warranty (most other places give one) and their customer service is pretty good. Never ever EVER buy from PC World, their after sales service is terrible.

I find that my RSI disappears when I use the netbook because I'm not having to stretch my fingers to type. Be warned though, I have extremely small hands, and what is comfortable for me is likely to not be that comfortable for normal folks!

I would say buy one now while you can. They are selling very fast.

I only know the Acer one, but EEE are doing one that runs on linux. I went for the convenience of the Acer because it came with Windows XP. It makes life so much easier!

Let me know if you want to talk more about any of this stuff- I'll let you look at mine when I see you! xxx

Anonymous said...

castlegirl01: I would definitely go for it! Mac OS is more reliable and less vulnerable to viruses, spyware and adware than Windows. If you are not doing graphics, playing games or anything that requires a lot of memory, you can get away with a MacBook (if you need a laptop). It's not as expensive as the MacBook Pro (which is more geared to graphics) and it's just as great! And the interface is so well designed... actually, everything Apple is hot design.

Katita, sorry for the personal convo going on, but I didn't know how else to reach her...

Anonymous said...

thanks alien cat!

K said...

I don't know if you'll see this, as I'm late to the party. I just discovered your blog. Anyway, a friend of mine just bought one of those for $250 in the US. His has Linux on it, a very friendly graphics-interface that I like a lot. I am definitely getting one for library work and short travel periods--it's incredibly light and the battery life is outstanding.