Signs I am getting old
So today I got to meet Ginger Spice* from the Spice Girls. She has written a children's series called Ugenia Lavender, and the most recent book in the series just came out, so she was doing a book signing.
I found the whole thing kinda funny for a few reasons. First, there were many people there who were well beyond the target market for the books, and probably had no one in the target market in their lives, but were there to get a book signed anyway. (I was one of them.) Second, the girls who were in the target market for the books were probably far too young to (a) know who Geri Halliwell was and (b) appreciate what it means to have an autographed copy of a book. But Geri was lovely to everyone, so it was nice.
Anyway, my point. I was standing in front of a girl who was in her late teens, early twenties. (I dunno, I'm bad at guessing ages.) When we got closer to the front of the line, I asked her if she could take a photo for me while I was getting my book signed. She turned to her mom and said, "Can you take a photo for this lady?"
I was kind of surprised. Am I old enough to be called "lady"? It's kind of like when they call me "ma'am" at a store. I don't think of myself as "lady" or "ma'am" - perhaps it is because I am still a student - but at 28, maybe I am.
*Ginger Spice is not actually ginger any more, nor is she that sort of strawberry blonde that you see in all of her publicity photos. She's also tiny. But come to think of it, isn't she the one who always wore the massive platform boots in her performances?
2 comments:
I get called "Sir" a lot now (though sometimes still "Mate" by people around my own age), which I am still not entirely used to.
I hate getting called ma'am! Also, kids may not be old enough to know what it means to have an autographed book but they are old enough to stand in line to meet someone and get a picture..which is also part of the deal, so I think kids can def. appreciate that part of a book signing. Even I love book signings for the chance of meeting someone and taking a picture with them.
-Castlegirl- AKA- the child psych doctoral candidate :)
Post a Comment