Thursday, October 30, 2008

Gadgets I do not need, part 2

I'm still seriously wanting one of these. But this morning, I remembered something else I was seriously wanting not too long ago: a Tablet PC. Now I can't decide.

The mini laptop would be useful for me now, as I could take it to the library and stuff. My current laptop isn't extremely heavy (my first one in Ox weighed 13 pounds!), but it is a bit bulky. A mini one could fit nicely in a bag and wouldn't take up much space. I hear they also have good battery life.

Some downsides: it would mean that I would have to carry two laptops every time I make my long-haul US to UK flights, and it does not have a DVD drive or much memory. I wouldn't use it for heavy-duty storage, just mainly whatever I'm currently working on, so I could probably get a small memory card or whatever. But I would have liked to use it for watching movies on the plane.

I can't really think of a reason I would *need* a Tablet PC right now. It's actually something that would probably be best if I were working: I could annotate presentations or use it to correct electronically-submitted student papers. I would not use it in addition to my current laptop - if I needed to replace this one, it would probably be my replacement. Perhaps what they say is true: these days, companies create needs for us. We see these things that look cool, we decide we must buy them, and then we decide why we need them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A Tablet PC? Eeeeewwwwwww. Get a Wacom Intuos.3 instead (it works with Windows too, by the way, but it's geared to graphics). That's the gadget I want! ;-)
Happy Halloween!