Sunday, November 27, 2005

It will be weird...

  • to start paying for things with paper money and not coins again.
  • to be able to shop at places after 7 pm.
  • to ask, "Is this the line?" instead of, "Are you queuing?"
  • not to have the automated voice telling you which cashier to go to at the post office or the supermarket.
  • to give out my American cell phone number rather than my British one.
  • to call it a "cell phone" and not a "mobile."
  • to drive to the supermarket!
  • to use the term "Greeks" to refer to people who are not necessarily of Greek origin.
  • to have a grade of 68 be a bad thing.
  • to use my sunglasses more often than my umbrella.
  • to be back on the faculty side of things again.
  • to have "pound" refer to this - ### and not this - £££
  • to have "here" and "to go" ("eat in" and "take away") cost the same amount.
  • to have to leave tips!
  • to recount my day-to-day Oxford happenings to everyone I see at home...

I owe you some long posts about the Thanksgiving dinner, Catz Night, and other stuff, but these things crossed my mind recently. I think I've changed a lot in these past two months. It's not that I can't wait to get out of here, or that I don't want to go home, but I think that things will be different. And I think I'm a better person as a result.

Am I boring y'all with these enlightenments? I'll be finishing my paper on Tuesday, which means I'll have a few days of free time. Throw a topic my way, and I'll discuss it on Tuesday when I'm done with my paper.

Much love,
Me

5 comments:

Pink Cupcake said...

It's interesting to me that you've picked up so much Englishness in Oxford. Of course it's a quintessentially English place in many ways, but as a native, I picked up so many un-English traits because it's also a heavily international place. So whilst you're returning home for your first Christmas calling your phone a 'mobile', in my first term at Oxford I started calling it a 'cell'.

Sorry for babbling, it just struck me that many of my home friends commented that I was 'less English' since living in Oxford for two years.

Deb said...

A question for you (and forgive me if you'd already answered it on your other blog and I'd missed it): Will you be done with the degree after this term? Or will you be taking more classes back in the states? Just curious!

Kait W. said...

Hehe BP, 68% is a bad mark in the States. What would get a 68% here would get probably 88%-92% in the American grading system.

Deb, I'm just going home for Christmas and to teach a really quick winterterm class (9 days! gah!). Then I will be back here in Oxford for two more terms, finishing at the end of June.

PC, I don't always hear people use that terminology, but I try to be good and use it to not sound like a stereotypical American tourist! The one I've had to work on using the most is "take away," because I've noticed that they don't always understand me when I say I want something "to go"...

Deb said...

A 9-day winter term? Wow! That should be interesting.

About "take away:" when I went to France (the only European country I've ever been to), I had the same problem. "Take away" seemed so weird at first. But now it makes more sense to me, in some ways, than "to go."

Kait W. said...

Snidge - I've never traveled on the Tube, only by bus (and once by taxi) and only very occasionally...otherwise I walk everywhere. Maybe next term when I travel a bit more I can try the Tube!