Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Here's looking at you, kid

Valentine's Day didn't start out so swell for me, but as the day progressed, things got better. I woke up feeling kinda crappy and depressed, primarily because I had to get ready for the horrible Literary Theory presentation I had to do on Lacan and psychoanalysis in literature. Lacan is a pain in the @$$ to read, especially in English translations, because he turns out little gems like this one:

"It is not a question of knowing whether I speak of myself in a way that conforms to what I am, but rather knowing whether I am the same as that of which I speak."

and on a simpler level,

"I think where I am not, therefore I am where I do not think."

Oh, it was fun. But Jenni and I did well, I think, so we're happy. And more importantly, it is now done.

After that I had to go to a Spanish sub-faculty meeting, but when that was done Jenni and I went out to dinner to a lovely Italian restaurant, and I had proper spaghetti (as opposed to the microwave crap) for the first time ever here. It was lovely and fun, even though we were the only people there not on a date, I think! It was also kinda funny because I think that since we were nervous about our presentation, neither one of us had eaten all day...

After dinner we went to get Sarah (another one of the Spanish students) and her friend Dave, and we went to see Casablanca at the Ultimate Picture Palace, a very cool vintage independent cinema that shows not-so-mainstream movies. I had never seen Casablanca before, so it was great to see it in a vintage theatre. I loved it and I don't know why I never watched it before yesterday.

I came back at 11:30ish and found out that I had received a lovely Valentine's Day bouquet from my parents. The only trouble was that I had no vase, so I had to make one by cutting up some of my big water bottles and taping them together. It was quite interesting, but at least I have a vase now. :)

Today I have no pressing academic matters, so I am going to r-e-l-a-x. I need it, seriously.

Hope all is well with everyone, and that you all had a fabulous Valentine's Day.
Kaitlin

No comments: