Thursday, February 16, 2006

Seventh-inning slump

That's a baseball metaphor, I know. Doesn't really work when talking about being in England. But I don't know any cricket, rugby or football (soccer) metaphors, so we'll have to leave it at that.

I seem to have hit some sort of slump. After Tuesday I just crashed all day yesterday, and although I was supposed to get back into the swing of things today, I crashed again today.

I was going to try going to this lecture on Rinconete and Cortadillo, but it didn't happen. In addition to being at 9 am (nope, sorry!) it was also for first-years, so it probably wasn't worth my while. Most of the things they do in the freshers' lectures are things I could do on my own time, even if I haven't read the work before.

My usual lecture plans for Thursdays are the intertextuality in Golden Age Spain lecture at 10 am, and the literary theory lecture at noon. I missed both. I was actually out the door and down the street, but I got as far as Jowett Walk and said forget it. I actually wasn't feeling so great anyway. So I came back and went back to sleep for a while.

I made it into town for about 3:30 for a late lunch (3:30 is an average lunch time for me since I go to bed and get up so late). It was quite convenient today: I went to the Covered Market for a pasty, and the girl gave me a second one for free! I guess they had a bit too many in the oven, and since they were getting ready to close up for the day, they wanted to get rid of them. On top of that, I also got a free soda with my student ID. So the whole thing came to £2.60 (for takeaway) when it might normally come to about £5.90. After that I did a bit of pickup shopping at M&S (I forgot some stuff yesterday), and went back to Catz.

Tonight I was going to do one of two things: either go to the Merton MCR to see Mar Adentro, or go to the Catweazle Club with the Oxford Muse people. I think I will decline on both, and just get caught up on laundry. I think I am getting sick anyway (stomach bug, plus possible pinkeye), so I want to be careful.

I guess this means that it is time for what my prof calls BE GOOD TO KAITLIN TIME.

1 comment:

Kait W. said...

Hey Loryta...with the exception of the theory seminar, most lectures are optional! Undergraduates are required to attend "tutorials," but grad students don't have tutorials, so it's pretty nice.

I do have to attend meetings with my supervisor, but we're not required to have a certain number of meetings and they're not always at the same time or for the same amount of time.