Thursday, December 20, 2007

This is why I have a cameraphone.

Hello! I'm back. Back on the blog, and back in the USSRA. I've been back since the 12th, and I go back on 10 January.

I was going to write a whingey post about how I am going gray and how people in stores call me ma'am. But instead, I will share something that made me laugh today.

I went Christmas shopping today, and during the course of my time at the mall I went over to Barnes & Noble. Whenever I go to Barnes & Noble I mosey on over to the Libros en Español section, because sometimes reading a book in Spanish makes it just *that* more interesting.

For those of you who don't mosey on over to the Libros en Español section of your local Barnes & Noble, the section usually contains books in the original Spanish (Cervantes, Neruda, etc.) and translations of gringo books (I see Hilary Clinton's bio in that section quite a lot). I was looking at the books by García Márquez, when I came across this one:This is his famous Love in the Time of Cholera, which was an Oprah's Book Club book. What cracks me up, though, is the little purple disclaimer in the upper right corner: En Español.

No. Really? Because if I didn't see the Spanish title, the phrase "Premio Nobel de Literatura" (you figure out what that means) and the quote in Spanish at the bottom of the page, together with the fact that the author has a Spanish name and that the book is in the Foreign Language section of the bookstore, I wouldn't have guessed.

I couldn't help but laugh. And I couldn't help but document the occasion. This, folks, is why I have a cameraphone.

1 comment:

LM said...

Don't feel bad if people in stores call you ma'am. I don't think it's necessarily an age indicator. At least not always. My Sociology teacher called all women in the class "ma'am", even a high school senior who was taking the class through I don't know which special program!

Merry Xmas!