Here's something that I know will start a controversy.
American milk chocolate kicks British milk chocolate's @$$. Discuss.
I'm sorry, maybe it's just me and my lactose semi-intolerance, but I just don't like most of the dairy products here in the UK. The milk, cheese, and chocolate all taste funny to me. I bought some Easter candy here, and it was tasty, but yesterday I received my family's Easter package, which included some good ol' American chocolate. Man, was it good.
I don't know what Hershey's or Munson's or Russell Stover or Whitman's are doing differently from Cadbury or Thorton's or wherever, but I'd forgotten how awesome American chocolate really is. Even M&Ms don't taste the same here.
Who knows. Ours is probably full of horomones or chemicals that will finish us off 20 years sooner than the British stuff. You know what they say - if it's tasty, it's bad for you.
Just thought I'd share that observation with y'all.
4 comments:
Funny, I've always had the opposite opinion about chocolate! Granted, I've never lived in Britain, but when I was studying in continental Europe several years ago, I got hooked on Milka, Cadbury and related chocolate brands. (Milka is my favorite!) Once I got back to the U.S., I was only able to go back to eating Hershey's with great difficulty.
I should probably clarify that I'm talking about bars of chocolate here, not the little egg thingies (I'm not a fan) or anything with fillings...
I so have to disagree with you! British Cadbury's chocolate is MILES better than American chocolate!!
But I'd be willing to bet you're on to something with the lactose-intolerance. My theory is that milk chocolate is sooooo much better in the UK because they actually use QUALITY milk!
I prefer British chocolate (but then, I am a Brit!), but I expect it just has more to do with what you are used to and what you grew up with. Cadbury's chocolate totally has comfort food associations for me, so I particularly like it for that reason, even though I think Green & Blacks, Milka (and other continental chocolate) actually tastes much better.
Oh, if you ever need a fix of Hersheys or Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, they sell them in Taylors on the corner of Little Clarendon Street. I imagine they are way over priced compared to the US, but desperate times... :)
euro-trash chocolate is the best!!! continental chocolate (especially swiss) is better, but i remember in england yorkie bars were awesome.
now that i'm thinking of it, that may be why i don't really eat much chocolate here in the states...
Post a Comment