Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Woo-hoo!

After 16 days at this college and three weeks in this country, I finally found a microwave! Yay! It is located in the lovely and wonderful MCR.

Since my cooking skills are nonexistent, this will increase my ability to eat non-crappy food tremendously. It will also improve my ability to make tea, since my tea-making skills are primarily microwave-based.

I also found out that there is an oven a few staircases down. Maybe I'll buy that cake mix I saw at the Covered Market, and make a cake.

OK, after I cook this delicious "serve hot or cold" quiche lorraine from Sainsbury's, I will get back to work.

Cheers!
Kait

>>Edit, 10:49 p.m., 10/18/05: The quiche was awesome. Mathias showed me how to use the microwave. It is much better to eat something cooked than to eat cold sandwiches all the time!

7 comments:

Pink Cupcake said...

Have you tried Ben's Cookies in the covered market yet? If you like chocolate, the triple choc ones are awesome. Actually, they're all awesome. Mmmm.

Kait W. said...

Oh yes, I have discovered Ben's. I had the chocolate chip(I think the triple choc would kill me) and the peanut butter. Awesome.
Brit Pundit is recommending G&D ice cream as well--I need to try that next!

Anonymous said...

Kait, there's also a nice kettle in the MCR. Boiled water--for tea--has never tasted better than this!

Kait W. said...

Haha I noticed the kettle the other day but have not attempted to use it yet. That should illustrate the depths of my cooking badness. I also need to become more familiar with the metric system and Celsius temperatures before I start with the whole "cooking in the UK" thing. =)

Kait W. said...

Well, the price of gasoline is per liter, my liquid detergent says "put 100 mL in," the bathroom scales weigh in kilos and stones, and the washing machine uses celsius temperatures (unless that's a damn cold wash cycle I'm using!). But I think people are comfortable using both.
I don't know why I'm so confused with metric--it makes so much more sense than US measurements!

Anonymous said...

Having lived here for two years, I am also rather surprised to observe Kait's claim that England has adopted the metric system... Maybe they have done so locally in your part of Oxford?!

Kait W. said...

But then why is gasoline sold in liters and bathroom scales measure kilos? I'm so confused (but what else is new)! Are they interchangeable? Or does the UK just put metric on things so that the neighboring Europeans who come to visit know what you're talking about--just like how some stores also put Euro prices on their products?