Saturday, October 1, 2005

Oxford Observations, Round 1

Thoughts that have passed through my head on my first four days in England:

1.) Why is everyone so quiet here? Not that it’s a bad thing. Everyone is so polite. But it makes me feel like a big loud rude American. I’ve been saying, “I’m sorry?” quite a bit.
2.) What is the deal with foreigners and weird flavors of chips crisps? I’ve seen roast chicken, mature cheddar and onion, prawn cocktail, and honey roasted ham. But sour cream and onion? BBQ flavored? Noooo, sorry.
3.) Frosted Flakes are called “Frosties” o’er here.
4.) Buns are called baps.
5.) The city is much smaller than I expected. I keep running into people I met on the plane. And I ran into a girl who went to school in teeny old Connecticut, like I did. She happened to be on my tour.
6.) There are so many Americans here! 57% of the graduate students are foreigners, and of that number, 690 are Americans. And let’s not forget undergraduates and other expats as well.
7.) Certain British words make me giggle. Like “cheeky” and “saucy minx” and “jolly good” and “ice lollies.”
8.) Am I the only person majoring in literature over here?
9.) It is so weird to be in buildings that existed before the United States even existed.
10.) And it is even weirder to notice that the aforementioned buildings now house a Nokia store and a KFC.
11.) I can’t understand British English as well as I thought. But watching so many episodes of “Changing Rooms” and “Cash in the Attic” did help.
12.) “The Bill” rocks!!!
13.) Speaking of Bills, did you know that Bill Clinton “didn’t inhale” in Oxford?
14.) And the Australian prime minister broke a Guinness world record for drinking 2 ½ pints of beer in like 11 minutes.
15.) I really need to learn to look LEFT first when crossing the street.
16.) It is really weird to buy something that costs about $8 and be able to pay in nothing but coins.
17.) I *heart* the Body Shop. The Body Shop is a British invention, after all, and they do it soooo much better here than in the States.
18.) Speaking of which, why don’t we call it “the States” when we are in the States? Only foreigners call it that. And even though I am American, I never thought to call it anything else but “the States” while I have been here.
19.) Very few people own cars. Right now, I am staying on a street that doesn’t allow cars.
20.) And when people do have cars, they are teeny. Mini Coopers. Smart cars. Even the SUVs are kinda teeny. And no, there are no minivans, Lincoln Towncars, or pickup trucks.
21.) I’m glad I went overboard on packing clothes. I would NOT want to pay $100 for a pair of “on sale” pants here!!!
22.) But don’t be fooled—there are a few cool cheap places here.
23.) Yes, I’ve bought a purse already, for a very low £8. I expect it to fall apart next week.
24.) My umbrella fell apart the day I got here.
25.) Gas is about 93.9 pence a liter. I have no idea what that means. Would someone please do the math and get back to me?
26.) The news right now is all about how Kate Moss does cocaine and someone shouted the word “Bunk” at Tony Blair. Oh yeah, and the Rita floods. I can’t remember much else.
27.) I need to get used to walking an hour to get somewhere!!!

I think that’s it for now. More to come soon!
Cheers,
Kait

6 comments:

Peterson Toscano said...

#10) I just spent a week in Oxford and wanted so much to shoot a picture of that Nokia/KFC in housed in that lovely tudor style building. The street was always crowded though, and I felt silly taking a photo of a KFC.

I really enjoyed all the stores in Oxford that sell Fair Trade items. The Quaker Center has great chocolate bars and fair trade too!

Cheeky Prof said...

Cool--new blog! Are you going to the other one going too, Kait?...(Just figuring out how to adjust my blogroll!)

RussianViolets said...

Ooh, I am so, so jealous! I so desperately want to be there.

Disintegrating Clone said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kait W. said...

I deleted the last comment because the commenter didn't understand the purpose of this blog. These are the observations of someone who is traveling to England for the first time. You have a right to disagree with me, but please be polite.

Disintegrating Clone said...

Sorry, thought I was being polite. Please accept my apologies.