A costly (but lovely) obsession
I've developed a new obsession: signed copies of books.
I've always been excited about autographed books - I remember getting my copy of The Agony of Alice signed by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor when I was in the third grade, and getting several books signed by Paula Danziger maybe two years later. There were others along the way - obscure writers who were invited to read at my elementary school and such - but those two stuck out in my mind because I *loved* those books.
But I've really become obsessed with it since I've been here in Oxford. I think it's because so many brilliant people come here to speak, and I want to go away with some evidence that I got to hear these brilliant people speak. (I would have loved to have Kristeva sign my book, but it was so packed and I don't think she did any signing anyway.) In addition to brilliant speakers, there are brilliant students who write books too - two of my classmates in the MSt program have written books, and I am trying to get copies of those as well.
It has become much worse this past week with the arrival of the Oxford Literary Festival. All sorts of brilliant writers have come to Oxford to give talks. I got two autographed books and bought one or two others. And this is after I bought books on the 3-for-2 sale at Blackwell's last week for vacation reading! And along the way, I also received some lovely books as birthday gifts!
I know I could take some of these books out of the library, but there is nothing like having your own personal library of books - ones that don't smell musty and that you can fold the pages in and toss in your bag to read later and not feel so bad if you spill tea on them. I'm starting to wonder how the hell I'll take them all home, but there is something exciting about building a personal library with books I bought in Oxford.
Now, if only I could find the time to read them all...
4 comments:
I know what you mean - I love having my own books. Although I would probably save a crapload of money by taking them out of the library, it's just not the same.
Btw - I got your postcard. Thanks! :)
Oh gosh -- books are so irresistable, aren't they?
Thanks so much for the postcard. Got it today :)
Books are wonderful. I love them!
Hey, Liz at MysteryMommy *knows* Paula Danziger. Seriously. I wanted to plotz when I heard.
Pistachio Prescription was my favorite.
Post a Comment